Kaleidoscope of history unveiled
August of decades and centuries past comes to life
August 7th. In 1910, Gennady Tsitovich was born — a Belarusian conductor, folk music expert and choir master. He founded and headed the State Academic Folk Choir of Belarus, which now bears his name.
August 9th. In 1959, singer and Honoured Artiste of Belarus Maria Gulegina was born. From 1983 to 1990, she was a soloist with the State Opera and Ballet Theatre of Belarus and, since 1990, has worked with some of the world’s largest theatres: La Scala, the Metropolitan Opera, the Hamburg Opera and the Vienna Opera.
August 10th. In 1900, Filipp Levin was born in Kletsk. He is known as a famous American biologist and bacteriologist, and as an author of scientific papers on bacteriology, haematology and immunology. He discovered several rare types of blood.
August 11th. In 1945, violinist Andre Chaikov was born in Minsk. He played with Belarus’ State Dance Ensemble, with the State Academic Symphony Orchestra and with the Belarusian TV and Radio Symphony Orchestra.
August 13th. In 1930, Professor Yuri Kharin was born. The Doctor of Philosophical Sciences is an Honoured Worker of Education and an author of papers on dialectics, methods of scientific study and social philosophy.
August 7th. In 1928, the first Belarusian plant opened making silicate brick, in Klimovichi. In 1958, Klimovichi’s Combine of Construction Materials was founded at the site.
August 7th. In 1985, the village of Loshitsa was subsumed into the city of Minsk.
August 9th. In 1917, the first issue of Zvyazda (Star) newspaper was released.
August 9th. In 1944, Minsk’s Car Assembling Plant launched, later becoming home to Minsk’s Automobile Works — MAZ.
August 12th. In 2000, a national convention of Volga GAZ 21/22 car owners met, attracting over 40 automobiles from Brest, Vitebsk, Borisov, Minsk, Zhodino, Moscow and Kharkov.
August 9th. In 1958, the Medical Institute opened in Grodno.
August 10th. In 1958, the new city of Soligorsk was founded, following industrial development of potassium salt mines and construction of a potash factory. It was initially known as Novostarobinsk (based on the village of Vishnevka, in the Starobin District).
August 10th. In 1995, Braslav Lakes National Park was founded.
August 11th. In 1940, Minsk’s passenger railway station (part of Western Railways) opened after reconstruction.
August 11th. In 1965, construction began on an eight-storey building for the Belarusian State University’s Chemistry Department.
August 11th. In 1974, a monument to Frantsisk Skorina was unveiled in Polotsk, sculpted by A. Glebov, I. Glebov and A. Zaspitsky and designed by V. Marokin.
August 11th. The first Ashgabat—Minsk—Ashgabat flight was launched.
August 12th. In 1928, construction began on an agricultural machine building plant, in Gomel. Since 1978, it has been the headquarters of the Belarusian Production Association of Fodder Harvesters: Gomselmash.
August 12th. In 1932, the Gorky State Russian Drama Theatre of the BSSR was established in Bobruisk. Since 1947, the theatre has been based in Minsk (known currently as the Maxim Gorky National Academic Drama Theatre).
August 12th. In 2000, the Kursk submarine crashed in the Barents Sea, killing 118 crew — including Belarusian Sergey Dudko (2nd rank captain) and Alexander Sadkov (3rd rank captain).
August 13th. In 1965, the first trolley buses began serving Minsk’s Karl Libnekht Street. Their route passed through Lenin Square, and along the streets of Moskovskaya, Zheleznodorozhnaya, Shchors, Lermontov and Karl Libnekht.
August 13th. In 1976, the permanent construction exhibition of Belarus launched.
August 13th. In 1992, the Belarusian Federation of Bicycle and Motor Sport was established.