Kaleidoscope of history unveiled
August of decades and centuries past comes to life
August 22nd. In 1904, Ivan Yevmenko was born in the village of Polzukhi of the Mogilev Region’s Gorki District. He was a head of the partisan movement on the territory of the Vitebsk Region, during the Great Patriotic War.
August 23rd. In 1917, a People’s Poet of Belarus and an honourable member of Belarus’ NAS — Pimen Panchenko — was born.
August 23rd. In 1957, an outstanding boxer — Vyacheslav Yanovsky — was born in Vitebsk. He was an Olympic champion (1988), a three time world champion, a silver and bronze winner at European championships and a holder of the World Cup.
August 26th. In 1924, a Belarusian weightlifter and an Honoured Master of Sports of the USSR, a champion of Europe and the USSR — Yevgeny Novikov — was born.
August 27th. In 1928, Sergey Vakar — a Belarusian sculptor, an Honoured Figure of Arts of Belarus — was born in Orsha.
August 22nd. In 1910, the first aeroplane flight took place in Minsk.
August 22nd. In 1916, the third city postal department opened in Zolotaya Gorka.
August 22nd. In 1952, summer Raduga cinema opened in the Chelyuskintsev Park.
August 22nd. In 1953, a decision was made to build Minsk’s Watches Plant.
August 22nd. In 1965, a memorial plaque to the USSR Hero, Feodosy Smolyachkov — was unveiled on the façade of house #1 of Smolyachkov Street.
August 23rd. In 1920, the Central Statistical Bureau was established — known as the Ministry of Statistics and Analysis since 1994.
August 22nd. In 1965, construction of a 12-storey hotel started on banks of the Zaslavl water reservoir.
August 23rd. In 1953, the Electric Measuring Plant was launched in Vitebsk — now known as VZEP RUE.
August 24th. In 1889, the community of Red Cross nurses wasestablished in Minsk.
August 24th. In 1924, the first issue of the Belarusian Medical Thought magazine was published.
August 24th. In 1932, editing of the first Belarusian language film — Victors — was completed.
August 24th. In 2001, Minsk’s Partizansky Avenue opened after reconstruction.
August 25th. In 1624, Metropolitan Iov Boretsky blessed opening of a nunnery at the St. Peter and Paul Church.
August 25th. In 1912, the first issue of Minskaya Gazeta-Kopeika (Minsk’s Kopeck Newspaper) was out; from 1915 until November 29th, 1918, it was published under the Minskaya Gazeta (Minsk’s Newspaper) title.
August 26th. In 1500, Minskers found an icon of the Mother of God in the Svisloch River. The icon is much cherished by Orthodox Christians and, since 1500, the 26th of August is celebrated as the holiday of the Minsk Icon of the Mother of God.
August 26th. In 1922, the Intimate Theatre opened in Novomoskovkaya (now known as Myasnikov) Street after a repair, with Geisha staged on the first night. During the Great Patriotic War, the building was ruined.
August 26th. In 1925, the Law and Economy Department opened at the Belarusian State University, with two branches: of law and economy.
August 27th. In 1857, the city of Gorky received its emblem: three black mounts (with green ear depicted on each) against the golden background.
August 28th. In 1924, the Belarusian Scientific-Research Institute of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Physiotherapy was established in Minsk — since 2005, known as the Republican Scientific-Practical Centre of Neurology and Neurosurgery.
August 28th. In 1936, the Profintern Garden was renamed into the Maxim Gorky Park.
August 28th. In 1994, Belarus introduced a new holiday: the Day of the Belarusian Written Language and Print. Since 1998, it’s known as the Day of the Belarusian Written Language.
August 25th. In 1991, Belarus’ political and economic independence was proclaimed.