Altar returned to its former beauty
By Lidia Vikentieva
One of Belarus’ most beautiful churches was built in the late 17th century and consecrated in 1705. The altar, damaged by fire in 2006, was created in the 1730s by Konigsberg carver Schmidt, designed by Prussian architect Pauker. Its four burnt wooden sculptures have been restored: those of apostles Jacob and Thomas, Saint Ambrose and patron of arts Lozovoy, as well as relief columns, and part of its balustrade and decoration. Only solid lime timber has been used, as in the original, carved by a father and son team from Voronovo: Kazimir and Igor Misyura.
The final stage of reconstruction envisages gold leaf covering, being conducted by specialists from Vilnius and supervised by Pawel Sadlej, a restorer of the Royal Castle in Warsaw.