Kaleidoscope of history unveiled
October of decades and centuries past comes to life
Shot of the week: Teachers Oksana and Alexander Valekh marry in Vitebsk, on the eve of Teachers’ Day
October 10th. In 1929, pioneer-partisan and Soviet Union Hero Marat Kazey was born.
October 11th. In 1898, Khariton Goreglyad was born in the village of Stakhovo (present day Stolin District). He was a scientist in the field of veterinary science, specialising in cattle.
October 12th. In 1947, Rear Admiral Anatoly Pasinitsky was born in Zaslavl. He served for the Northern Fleet and, from 1976, commanded a submarine through the Arctic waters, from the Northern to the Pacific oceans.
October 13th. In 1899, Belarusian linguist Mikhail Zhirkevich was born in the village of Zalesovichi, in the Mogilev Region’s Cherikov District.
October 14th. In 1924, USSR Hero Zinaida Samsonova was born. Over the period of September 26th-27th, 1943, he rescued thirty wounded men from the battle field, under fire.
October 15th. In 1909, Belarusian poet Sergey Rakita (Zakonnikov) was born in the village of Litvinovo (present day Dubrovno District).
October 16th. In 1854, Yerofey Kostenich was born in the village of Muzhichok, in the Mogilev District. He was an ophthalmologist, a Doctor of Medicine, a Professor at Warsaw University, and the Head of the Eye Clinic and the Director of the Eye Spa in St. Petersburg. While holidaying in his homeland, he treated Belarusian peasants without payment.
October 10th. In 1964, the 28th Olympics began in Tokyo, with Belarusian sportsmen winning medals: Yelena Volchetskaya (sporting gymnastics), Romuald Klim (hammer throwing), Alexander Medved (freestyle wrestling) and Tatiana Samusenko (fencing).
October 10th. In 1979, Pinsk’s Motorcycle Soccer Club began its work and the Avtomobilist team was established. The latter won Belarusian championships 13 times, and took 15 Belarus Cups.
October 13th. In 1929, tram transportation was launched in Minsk, with the first tram carrying over 10 million passengers within 12 months.
October 10th. In 2000, the presidents of Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia and Tajikistan signed an agreement in Astana to establish an international organisation: the Eurasian Economic Community (EurAsEC).
October 11th. In 1978, the Kupala Memorial Reserve — Levki — was established in Levki, 28km from Orsha. Here, People’s Writer of Belarus Yanka Kupala worked from 1935-1941.
October 12th. In 1925, Berlin hosted the 2nd all-Belarusian conference (of Belarusian emigration) which acknowledged Minsk to be a single centre of political and cultural revival.
October 12th. In 1982, the DOSAAF Republican House opened the DOSAAF History Museum of Belarus. In 1990, the museum gained the title of ‘People’s’. Its inventory numbers over 2,000 exhibits.
October 13th. In 1928, the Institute of Belarusian Culture was re-organised as the BSSR Academy of Sciences — now known as the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus.
October 13th. In 1997, the Republican Children’s Centre of Oncology and Haematology opened in the village of Lesnoy, near Minsk.
October 14th. In 1937, Minsk’s Factory of Artware was established.
October 14th. In 1999, the Vydritsa Landscape Reserve (of Republican significance) was established in the Zhlobin and Svetlogorsk districts. All typical landscapes of Belarusian Polesie are found on its territory.
October 15th. In 1923, Slepyanskaya and Antonovskaya cottage settlements joined Minsk’s territory.
October 15th. In 1929, the Belarusian National Academy of Sciences’ History Institute was founded.
October 15th. In 1947, Minsk’s Art College opened (named after Alexey Glebov since 1969 and part of the Belarusian Arts Academy since 1992).
October 15th. In 1947, Minsk’s Woollen Factory began its work.
October 15th. In 1953, the first wheeled ‘Belarus’ tractor was produced at Minsk’s Tractor Works.
October 15th. In 1961, Krichev’s Local History Museum opened.
October 15th. In 1964, the world’s largest oil pipeline — Druzhba — officially came into operation, stretching around 5,000km.
October 15th. In 1968, the Memorial Complex of Soviet-Polish Military Fraternity opened in Lenino (Gorky District).
October 15th. In 1992, the Republican Centre of Legal Information was established by Belarus’ Justice Ministry (as part of the Scientific-Research Institute on Problems of Criminology, Criminalistics and Legal Expertise).
October 15th. In 2001, Komarovsky market opened after reconstruction.
October 16th. In 1973, the Belarusian Institute for Design of Capital Repair and Reconstruction of Housing-Public Buildings (Belzhilproekt) launched.
October 16th. In 2001, Minsk’s Loshitsa Palace and Park Estate came under state protection.