Kaleidoscope of history unveiled

February of decades and centuries past comes to life

February 6th. In 1914, a People’s Poet of Belarus — Arkady Kuleshov — was born. He wrote numerous poems, also co-authoring scripts for Red Leaves and First Tests movies.

February 7th. In 1889, a Belarusian and Russian weightlifter and a founder of the kettlebell lifting and wrestling — Arkady Alexandrovich — was born in Minsk.

February 8th. In 1810, Belarusian artist Ivan Khrutsky was born. He was an academician of painting, focusing on landscapes, still-life, portraits and interiors (following the academic school traditions).

February 8th. In 1921, People’s Writer of Belarus — Ivan Melezh — was born. He wrote a Polesie Chronicles trilogy: People on Marshes, Breath of a Thunderstorm, and Snowstorms, December.

February 10th. In 1919, Alexander Volodin — a famous Soviet playwright — was born in Minsk.

February 11th. In 1807, a graphical artist and composer — Napoleon Orda — was born in the village of Vorotsevichi (Minsk Region’s Pinsk District).

February 12th. In 1914, an Honoured Architect of Belarus, Mikhail Baklanov, was born. His major works include Belarus’ State Russian Drama Theatre, the Architectural-Construction College, a training block of the Belarusian Institute of Agricultural Mechanisation, the main block of a tourist facility and a complex of Sosny recreation facility (on Lake Naroch).

February 6th. In 1995, agreements on kindly neighbourhood and co-operation and on the common state border were signed between Belarus and Lithuania.

February 6th. In 2003, borders of the Minsk free economic zone were outlined.

February 6th. In 2008, the Stet Museum of Belarus’ Theatrical and Musical Culture received archives of a musician and composer — Michal Kleofas Oginski — which were previously kept at Russia’s State Archive of Ancient Acts.

February 9th, in 1982, the first International Biathlon Championship took place in Raubichi (near Minsk).

February 7th. In 1924, the first passenger bus began its operation in Minsk. English Leyland vehicle could carry 29, travelling at a speed of 30 versts (around 20 miles) per hour.

February 8th. In 2002, the concept of Belarus’ banking system development was adopted.

February 9th. In 1852, Sialanka opera was premiered at Minsk’s City Theatre, marking the day as the Belarusian theatre’s birthday.

February 9th. In 1930, the first exemplary tea house — with a library and a reading hall — began its work in Minsk. Visitors were able to listen to radio as headphones were available at each table.

February 10th. In 1903, the Svisloch River left its banks at 2am and the flooding pushed residents of the neighbouring houses to promptly leave their homes.

February 10th. In 1913, the City Museum opened in Zakharievskaya Street (now known as Nezavisimosti Avenue).

February 10th. In 1923, a surgery clinic opened at the Belarusian State University.

February 10th. In 1926, the Children’s Hospital of the BSU’s Medical Department (in Minsk’s Karl Marx Street) accepted its first young patients.

February 10th. In 1940, the Historical-Archaeological Museum opened at the Belarusian State University.

February 10th. In 1967, the BSSR signed the Outer Space Treaty.

February 10th. In 1992, Belarus established diplomatic relations with Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Brazil and Korea.

February 11th. In 1928, construction of a major recreation and leisure park began near Minsk (in area of the Antonovsky forest).

February 11th. In 1928, the bakery — in Minsk’s Rakovskaya Street — was put into operation.

February 11th. In 1959, the BSSR State Circus (designed by architect V. Zhukov) opened.

February 12th. In 1874, Minsk’s public water supply system was officially launched. To honour the event, ‘The Boy with the Swan’ fountain was erected in the Alexandrovsky Park.

February 12th. In 2007, the construction of a 5km ski-roller track in Minsk’s Pobediteley Avenue — aimed for professional competitions and amateur training — was finished.

February 12th. In 2008, a new block of the Belarusian State University (now known as the Journalism Institute) was officially launched in Kalvariyskaya Street.
Заметили ошибку? Пожалуйста, выделите её и нажмите Ctrl+Enter
Версия для печати
Заполните форму или Авторизуйтесь
 
*
 
 
 
*
 
Написать сообщение …Загрузить файлы?