Kaleidoscope of history unveiled
December of decades and centuries past comes to life
December 19th. In 1919, a Belarusian scientist in the field of neuropathology — Nikolay Misyuk — was born.
December 20th. In 1914, operatic singer Olga Furs was born — a soloist at the Belarusian State Opera and Ballet Theatre.
December 21st. In 1962, muralist Fiodor Dragun was born in Minsk.
December 22nd. In 1924, Nina Yudenich — a Belarusian musical expert and teacher — was born.
December 23rd. In 1769, a dancer, singer and drama actor — Mikhal Ryminsky — was born in Igumen (now known as Cherven). He was a bondman of A. Tizengauz, studying at his ballet school and later lecturing there.
December 24th. In 1904, Ales Dudar (Alexander Dailidovich) was born in the village of Novoselki, of the Minsk Region’s Mozyr District. He was a poet, critic and translator.
December 25th. In 1844, a people’s hero and a participant of the partisan movement during the 1918-1920 Civil War and the Great Patriotic War — Vasily Talash — was born.
December 26th. In 1893, a composer, People’s Artiste of Belarus and the USSR and a founder of the Belarusian professional music — Yevgeny Tikotsky — was born.
December 19th. In 1964, a Y. Karsky Memorial Museum opened in the village of Lasha (Grodno District). Its exhibits comprise the scientist’s personal belongings, autographs and scientific papers, The Ethnographic Map of the Belarusian Tribe and micro-films of Mr. Karsky’s reports in the Czech language (provided by the Prague Academy of Sciences).
December 19th. In 1969, the 3rd Soligorsk Potassium Plant began its operation.
December 19th. In 1969, the first Belarusian deposits of brown coal were discovered near Zhitkovichi.
December 20th. In 1924, the cultural-enlightening society of Belarusian intelligentsia — Belaruskaya Khata (Belarusian House) — was founded in Latvia.
December 21st. In 1946, the Borisov United Museum was founded. At that time, it exhibited a single exposition dedicated to the events which took place on the Berezina River during the 1812 War. At present, the museum is the centre of local lore studies of the district.
December 21st. In 1982, the first electric train began servicing the stations of Baranovichi-Polesskie and Minsk.
December 22nd. In 2001, the Belorusskaya Nauka (Belarusian Science) Publishing House published the Science of Belarus in the 20th Century. 109 academicians worked for six years to compile it.
December 23rd. In 1845, the Vitebsk City Theatre began its work. Until 1847, ballet master Pion’s troupe worked there.
December 23rd. In 1885, a telegraph office opened in Vitebsk to wire correspondence from city branches to any telegraph station of the country.
December 23rd. In 1918, the Belarusian Telegraph Agency (BelTA) was established in Minsk — known as the Republican Unitary Enterprise Belarusian Telegraph Agency since May 2001.
December 23rd. In 1952, the Belarusian branch of the USSR Chamber of Industry was founded — known as the Belarusian Chamber of Commerce and Industry since 1994.
December 23rd. In 1969, the first energy block was launched at the Lukoml hydro-electric station — the largest heat electric station of the Belarusian energy system.
December 23rd. In 1968, the Yubileinaya Hotel (known as Intourist at that time) opened in Minsk. By now, over 2m guests have stayed here.
December 25th. In 1939, the BSSR Council of People’s Commissars decided to make Belovezhskaya Pushcha a state reserve. Since 1991, it is known as the National Park.
December 26th. In 1968, Grodno’s Regional TV Studio began its work.